Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Edge of the Wild
Travels in Western Newfoundland, Part I

"You're going WHERE?"

"Newfoundland", I repeated. It's in Canada. It's the big island northeast of Nova Scotia."

My co-worker looked askance, but assured me he was happy I was finally getting a vacation. Wherever I chose to spend it.

The province of Newfoundland lies somewhat beyond the usual vacation psyche of many Americans and even quite a few Canadians. If it invokes any recognition at all, it often seems to have the reputation of being a barren, cold, windswept, storm-tossed isle. It is indeed, sometimes, all of these things. But it is also a land of spectacular, rugged beauty, warm, welcoming people, and a seemingly unending array of fascinating things to see and do.

In July, 2012 my wife and I journeyed to Newfoundland and spent 11 days on the western side of the island - all too little time. Although I had been there twice before in the early 1990s, I still feel like I have barely scratched the surface of this amazing place.

Our trip took us up the Great Northern Peninsula, up a 2-lane highway, 400 miles into progressively more and more remote locations. The highway runs through a narrow strip of civilization, sandwiched between the Long Range Mountains on the east and the sea on the west. Traveling up that way truly seems like a journey along the Edge of the Wild.

The next few blog postings will chronicle our adventures and hopefully provide some useful information for travelers and especially photographers who are considering heading up that way.

Quirpon, at the far northern tip of the island of Newfoundland, looking toward Labrador on the far horizon
 

No comments:

Post a Comment